   RE: Mix encodings in a document?

  • From: Deke Smith <deke@tallent.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 98 09:15:23 -0500

Gavin Thomas Nicol, gtn@eps.inso.com said on 9/21/98 2:42 PM:

>The two required encodings are UTF-16 and UTF-8. You can use any other
>encoding you like, so long as the system you are working with supports
>it.
>
>Remember: byte != character code != character != glyph

It may be slightly off topic, but do you mind expanding on that last
line? I would be interested.

IANA character encoding spec I found at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets do not
explicitly name UTF-16, but does name several flavors of Unicode(?):

ISO-10646-UCS-2
ISO-10646-UCS-4
ISO-10646-UTF-1
ISO-10646-Unicode-Latin1
ISO-10646-J-1
UNICODE-1-1
UNICODE-1-1-UTF-7
UTF-7
UTF-8

Which is an alias for UTF-16?

Deke Smith
Tallent Communications Group, Brentwood TN
deke@tallent.com, 615-661-9878
" The best way to predict the future is to invent it. "
       - Alan Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)