   Re: XP syntax error - including cals-tbl.dtd in simple xml dtd

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:22:15 -0400

At 12:05 PM 9/22/98 -0700, Murray Altheim wrote:
>John E. Simpson <simpson@polaris.net> writes:

	<snip>
>> Well, I'm guessing, but it looks to me as though you're simply missing the
>> SYSTEM keyword in your entity declaration.
>
>No, SYSTEM would not be correct syntax if PUBLIC is also specified in the
>declaration -- the syntax of the declaration is fine. The problem with
>using CALS unmodified is that it is an *SGML* DTD which includes SGML
>features not allowed in XML, such as declaration-based SGML comments, tag
>minimization features, etc.

Thanks, Murray. I probably wouldn't have gone out on a limb if someone else
had already answered his question -- he sounded pretty desperate. :) Your
reply makes perfect sense.

John E. Simpson
Just XML (ISBN 0-13-943417-8)
Available in September from Prentice Hall PTR

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)