   Re: Corba data -> XML

  • From: "G. David Kuhlman" <dkuhlman@netcom.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

All these proposals (WebMethods, WebBroker, and also ILU http) seem
to revolve around the same thing, specifically requesting (object)
services and doing distributed computing across HTTP.

Has anyone done a comparison of them.  Are they all replacements
for CORBA and DCOM?  That would be great; CORBA is way too complex.

Are we talking about representing distributed objects in XML? Or is
the idea to represent the requests sent to distributed objects in
XML?  Or, maybe, both of the above.

And how does one develop an object or an application that provides
the service?  Is there a framework that it runs on top of?  The ILU
HTTP proposal seems to be saying that a server object is
implemented as a CORBA object that runs on the ILU ORB which
accepts HTTP requests.

Are these all XML App Servers?  OK. OK. I admit that I'm trying to
categorize through the application of buzzwords.

Here are some of the related links:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-webbroker/

  http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/xml/code/rpc.html

  ILU over HTTP -- ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/misc/webilu.html
  An example is in the ILU distribution --
    ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html

This one is not XML-related but has interesting ideas:

  http://udell.roninhouse.com/download/dhttp.html

And I have not been able to grasp the concept behind Casbah at all:

  http://www.ntlug.org/casbah/index.shtml

Comments and comparisons that help me understand the above will be
appreciated greatly.

Dave
dkuhlman@netcom.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)