   Re: Mix encodings in a document?

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: "Jerome McDonough" <jmcdonou@library.berkeley.edu>, "Deke Smith" <deke@tallent.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:05:06 +0100

Jerome McDonough wrote:

>ISO-10646-UCS-2 (the 2-octet Basic Multilingual Plane) is
the
>same as Unicode (which is a 16-bit chararacter encoding),
so
>that would be your "UTF-16." (I don't think that,
technically,
>the 16-bit encoding gets referred to as a UCS Transmission
Format).

No. UTF-16 is an encoding of ISO 10646 that uses 16 bits to
represent the characters in the Basic MultiLingual Plane
(BMP, equivalent to Unicode) and longer sequences to
represent characters outside the BMP. It is thus a pure
superset of UCS-2 or Unicode. See
http://osiris.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/N1334.html

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev