   Re: Sun XML early access

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:11:34 +0100

>Has anyone had a chance to look at the early access Sun XML
package yet?
>I'm just starting my explorations, and (so far, to me) it
looks pretty
>intriguing.  The DOM interface is promising, and I'm very
glad to see SAX
>support.

I've been testing it with SAXON. Some hiccups, as yet
unresolved, but generally promising. Performance is in the
same league as xp and AElfred. They've done some interesting
things with the DOM, for example the ability to nominate
user-defined subclasses of Element, and a TreeWalker
interface. This is where SAXON started last December!

Actually I'm not sure subclassing Element with a "semantic"
subclass, e.g. a business object such as Invoice, is the
right approach, because you get a clumsy class heirarchy,
and you invite the user to override methods inappropriately.
I'd prefer to have the Element contain a "userObject"
pointer to the business object.

Is anyone from the SUN team listening?

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev