   Repesention of table in an XML-DTD

  • From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@abinfosys.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:23:14 +0530

Hello,
            I was wondering what would be the best way to be repesenting a
large table (with 500+ entries) in an external subset of an XML file's  DTD
and selecting a row of the table in the XML file's internal DTD subset.

SCENARIO

            I have a table say TABLE CODE with 2 columns (Code Identifier
and Code Description) :-

                                                                    TABLE
CODE
                Code Identifier
Code Description

                        1
This represents the first code value in list
                        2
This represents second code value in list
                        .
                        .
                        (There are around 500-700 entries in this table)

            I have a requirement wherein :-

1)  I want to represent this large table above in an XML - DTD (preferbably
in the DTD's external subset since this table is to be accessed by many XML
files)

2) I have a set of XML files (say 10 XML files) whose external subsets point
to the file containing this table. Now in each of the XML files of the set,
I want to select a row of the table, in their internal subsets  i.e.

// table.dtd