   Re: Web server logs in XML?

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:27:00 -0700

Michael:

Here's what I would do with those XML logs, I'd read them into a database
and throw away the tagged text. Even then, the log info in the database
probably won't be as compact as a straight ASCII text file, but I'll be
able to write scripts that get me more info from them.

There's also a certain amount of hunting for the killer app going on. I
don't think anyone really knows what it's going to be or if for sure
there's going to be one. For example, a lot of people think it's going to
be a search engine, or that XML is going to replace HTML, but I see no
evidence of that, and neither of these make sense to me.

Anyway, the main reason to store log files in XML is so that XML-aware apps
can read them and process them. Maybe there's no gold in this here hill,
but why not give it a try and see? It's at most two days worth of work. Not
a big deal.

And those big hard disks are coming down in price, thankfully!

Dave