   Why is there no DOM-C++ binding in DOM spec?

  • From: Hyoungsoo Yoon <hyoung@fiz.huji.ac.il>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 16:38:57 +0200

Hello,

I've been trying to implement DOM api in C++ language.
But I just can't get past the initial design stage.

My question is:
How much freedom do I have in my implementation?
Since no official language binding is provided in the
spec (or is there any?), I suppose I can take some
liberty.

More specifically:
[1] Do I need to adopt OMG IDL C++ language binding
standard? It appears very specific to CORBA, which
I'm not planning to include at this stage.
[2] Or is it mandatory to include some sort of "object
brokerage interface" such as CORBA or DCOM?
[3] How important is this "detail" such as using Attr
instead of Attribute?
[4] More fundamentally, do we really need this
standardization in C++ language? I can see its importance
in script languages or "light-weight" languages such as java,
which can be used, for example, inside a browser. But
I can't think of any good examples for C++ (perhaps outside
the context of CORBA or COM).

Thanks all,
youngsoo

(un)subscribe xml-dev