   A plethora of schemas (was Re: It's time for practical XML!)

  • From: <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:18:31 -0400 (EDT)

Olivo Miotto writes:

 > I must admit, though, that there is an aspect of the XML effort
 > that bothers me, which is the overlap of some of the efforts. I am
 > thinking of DCD/XSchema/XData/RDF for instance. I would like to see
 > convergence or at least common strategies, nice and clear with
 > pictures and examples. Maybe it's too early for that?

XML-Data is basically dead; DCD and XSchema, together with a few
others, are outside proposals rather than W3C standards efforts -- a
W3C working group will consider all of the proposals and then create a
single standard for low-level XML structural schemas.

RDF schemas are something different -- expect to see a lot of other
application-specific high-level schema languages (for business models,
e-commerce, etc.).

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/