   Re: Looking for a redistributable XML editor

  • From: Chris Brew <Chris.Brew@edinburgh.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 13:23:54 +0100 (BST)

>[Crossposted to XML-DEV. Please reply to that list if you are actually
>offering concrete help, otherwise here].
>
>Yesterday I asked if there were any freely redistributable XML editors that
>I could use for teaching XML at a complete beginner level. The answers I
>have got so far are:
>
>	- emacs. But it is very large and not easily to distribute. Also some
>people find it difficult to use. Probably too complex for a 1-day course
>
>	- errrrm, that's it.
>
>Not even a simple WF-editor.

For this purpose, and maybe others, I think Henry Thompson's XED is a
useful starting point  ( http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xed.html ).

Henry says:

XED is a text editor for XML document instances. It is designed to
support hand-authoring of small-to-medium size XML documents, and is
optimised for keyboard input. It works very hard to ensure that you
cannot produce a non-well-formed document. Although it neither parses
DTDs in detail nor validates, it does keep track of your document
structure, and provides context-based accelerators to make element and
attribute entry fast and easy.

and (on distributablity)

5. XED availability

Beta versions of XED are available for trial
evaluation and individual use. I will not be posting new release
announcements as I fix bugs, but I will respond to all bug reports. This
beta release, in contrast to the alpha releases up until now, includes a
self-extracting installation for WIN32 users

[This probably goes some way to meeting your need.
 Yes, I'm in the next office to Henry! ]

Email: Chris.Brew@edinburgh.ac.uk
Address:  Language Technology Group, HCRC,
          2 Buccleuch Place,  Edinburgh EH8 9LW,Scotland
Telephone: +44 131 650 4632  Fax: +44 131 650 4587

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)