   Re: XObjects

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:15:50 +0100

Tyler Baker wrote:
>I think you are all missing the point here about what I was talking about.
In
>simple terms this is how it all works and it all has nothing to do with the
DOM.

>(1) There is a root element handler that is passed to the parser which
handles
>all of the events generated by parsing the root element
>
>(2) All of the generic events of SAX you could consider are delegated down
>the currently selected parent element which is receiving character,
element, and
>pi events among others
>
>(3) No registry, bindings, or any other muckety muck is necessary

This is the way an early version of SAXON worked. I found with experience
that it was simpler to define the association between an element-type and an
element-handler class using a setElementHandler(tag, class) interface,
rather than defining it in the element handler for the parent class. For
example, it works far better when the processing for a <A> tag is identical
regardless whether it appears within an <X>, a <Y> or a <Z>. (If different
behaviour is required, SAXON also allows different element handlers to be
used for <A> depending on whether it appears within an <X>, a <Y> or a <Z>.)

A compromise suggested by XSL, and which has been requested by users as a
SAXON enhancement, is for the parent element to say whether or not the
children are to be processed, while retaining document-level rules that
define how they should be processed.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest