   Optional Nodes in the DOM

  • From: <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:47:55 -0500 (EST)

Paul Prescod writes:

 > Is there a standard way for the DOM client software to say whether it
 > wants access to CDATA sections or not?

I don't think so -- I'd imagine that that would have to be an option
to the DOM builder, which is left unspecified.  I could imagine
something like this:

  public class DOMFactory
  {
    public final static int NONE = 0;

                        // Optional node types
    public final static int COMMENTS = 1;
    public final static int ENTITYREFS = 2;
    public final static int CDATA = 3;
    public final static int ALL = COMMENTS | ENTITYREFS | CDATA;

    public Document createDocument (int flags)
      throws DOMFactoryException, IOException; // etc.
  }

and then

  Document doc = factory.createDocument(DOMFactory.NONE);

I can also imagine many DOM builders that always leave these nodes
types out, since that information is not needed for most XML
applications (authoring and repository tools excepted).

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev