   Re: ID attribute defaults

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:43:40 -0500

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

>Yes, that's a plausible scenario in which a defaulted ID attribute
>might be useful.  Sorry... XML rules it out.

As I understood (but hoped otherwise -- or at least hoped that there'd be
some trick to accomplish the same goal, without having to create
app-specific attributes like Sref to do it).

>As for my having defaulted the "target" attribute in the annotated
>spec, the "target" is the *same* on every annotation, that's why
>it's defaulted.  Nothing could be more different from an ID attribute.

Yeah, but.... In an element tree in which many elements at the top layer
must be one-of-a-kind, the target would be the same for every
cross-reference, too. So why not default it (or so I thought) with a fixed
ID value?

I hesitate to call this an idee fixe. Probably should have hesitated a bit
longer.

Thanks again.
JES

John E. Simpson            | It's no disgrace t'be poor,
simpson@polaris.net        | but it might as well be.
http://www.flixml.org      |            -- "Kin" Hubbard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest