   Re: XLink - where are we? [tiny amount o

  • From: David Brownell <db@Eng.Sun.COM>
  • To: Graham Moore <graham.moore@dpsl.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:45:02 -0800

Graham Moore wrote:

> Eliot wrote
>
> > The last two [java class for elements / swing classes] are no different
> > from requiring a style sheet--someone still has to provide
> > a per-document or document type definition of what the styling should
> > be
>
> The functional binding / class => element could be done as a default. Look
> in the location where the document was acquired from using the element name
> as the class name. It would just work, with no additional configuration
> files. If no class exists then the node is just a node.

That doesn't seem sufficient to me.  What's the package name?  What
about classes that should represent multiple element types?  What about
the different semantics associated with different namespaces?  Suppose
you want the element and class names to be different, perhaps because
you and your users work with different natural languages?  (And I'll
confess to having deferred the homework to finding out exactly how
XML names and Java names differ!  I'd expect them not to be the same.)

The model I'm working with right now does include a mapping of name
to class, but it's not direct (e.g. can be many to one) and is aware
of namespaces.  It can be statically configured (e.g. an XML element
containing mappings -- embedded, or in a separate document) as well
as algorithmically configured (i.e. a factory class).

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)