   Re: using xml/xsl/dom together

  • From: "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@discerning.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:35:41 -0800

> But why wait for MS to implement this into IE5 etc.  Simply an application
>to leverage these standards is all we want... let independent solution
>developers do the rest..

I don't want to wait, i want to start programming towards what is
going to be available on the client. By "client", i mean one that
will have implemented the emergent standards, whether it be IE,
mozilla, or opera.

I'm *not* interested in something requiring some other ISV's technology
on the client-side. There may be some space for the numerous
"intranet-in-a-box" startups that stick java or activeX in the browser
to compensate for lacking standards or standards-compliance.
But i want my architecture to have broad reach, and that means
that on the client i only want to rely on the capabilities
implicit in a fully standard-compliant browser, whenever that happens.

My problem is that i can't see how that it is even *supposed* to work,
even if there were a standards-compliant browser. The conceptual
model in the xsl/xml specs seems to be that there is one xml document and
it specifies a style sheet embedded in it. That is pretty far off
from what i have in mind. similarly, i don't quite see how
xsl/dom/action-or-behavior-sheets all come together.

-mda

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)