   Re: Creation of XML documents

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:19:19 -0000

Wester, JJ (ICT) <j.j.wester@kpn-telecom.nl> writes:

>I am involved in a similar project: we want to  replace the current
>inter-application communication techniques (RPC's, batch files etc) by XML
>document exchanges. This because XML makes the interfaces more flexible.
>We need methods and tools for the programmers who have to adapt old
>applications, or build new applications that communicate through XML to
>other applications.

I'm doing exactly this in a project at the moment. The different
applications that need to communicate all use different technology and the
right way to deliver the information varies in each case. We have a "data
interchange agent" for each application that encapsulates the data
interchange service (which uses XML over MSMQ) and delivers the data in a
way that the application finds natural. In general this is as a "business
object" rather than a DOM-level object (the agent knows the structure of the
business objects). For one application we deliver COM objects, for another
we deliver CORBA objects, and for a third we write the data to an SQL
database and activate triggers to process it. In all cases we hide the XML
structure from the application completely.

Contrary to the title of this thread, most of our effort has gone into
*receipt* of XML documents; creation of the documents is relatively easy.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)