   Re: Topic Maps on SQL

  • From: Kacper Nowicki <kacper@odi.com>
  • To: Charles Reitzel <creitzel@mediaone.net>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:57:01 -0800

>>I am reasonably sure that one can implement topic map
>>functionality in a set of relational tables and SQL queries,
>>and then, as with RDF, export a compliant SGML/XML instance
>>of that information.  Do you know of any reason why this
>>would not work?

[...]

>With both database models, however, you still have the column problem,
>though.  I doubt the above would be sufficient for real world document
>repositories.

There is this deep feeling in Object Database community, that XML and
dynamic content in general is task for us. XML structures are easily
repersented as objects with links/pointers to other objects and dynamic
collections of their nested objects, attributes, etc.

Kacper

---
Kacper Nowicki                                           kacper@odi.com
Senior Consulting Engineer                               (415) 286 6614
Object Design, Inc.                         http://www.objectdesign.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)