   DTD styling

  • From: heiko.grussbach@crpht.lu
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:19:35 +0100

Hi,

since I'm no expert with XML, this may be an easy one, but still...

I have the need to provide an editor for a large range of documents. The
documents are highly structured, but there are many different forms. I
assume, for each form, one would need to write something like a DTD. This
is OK, but I need to be able to edit these documents and I don't want to
write an editor for each DTD or write an Editor that is generic enough to
deal with any DTD I expect.

There are tools for creating an editor from a DTD (like the EditorMaker
from IBM). But since the DTD does not contain any styling, such a tool does
not know, how I want the Editor to look like. I.e. the result of the
EditorMaker is always some generic Editor for an XML-document. This is
somehow similar to having an XML document with a predefined styling. What I
would like to have is the possibility to add styling to the DTD so that a
tool like EditorMaker would create an editor that is more customized to the
styling I want. For example I could define a styling that would map from
the DTD to Java GUI-classes like CheckBox, Menu or ListBox and so on. Then,
running something like the EditorMaker would create the classes for a GUI
with the styling that I defined.

Any comments, suggestions etc are highly appreciated...

Regards

Heiko Grussbach
Heiko.Grussbach@crpht.lu

(un)subscribe xml-dev