   Re: SAX and delayed entity loading

  • From: "Gabe Beged-Dov" <begeddov@jfinity.com>
  • To: <david@megginson.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 16:26:26 -0800

>I think that this is a mistaken approach -- it confuses entities with
>links.

Well, entities are a confusing area of XML :-).  linking is currently
"missing in action" in most implementations that are available. Much hay is
made of XML's ability to gracefully handle large information sets over the
public internet.  Are you saying that external parsed entities are not
intended to play any role in addressing how to deal with incremental loading
of XML documents?

If this is the case, then what would the use of external entities be? I'm
not trying to be difficult, and have a pretty good understanding of both the
entity mechanism and linking. In fact, I'll be giving an overview of linking
using Steve DeRoses' excellent slide set tomorrow for some local XML
initiates (for discussions sake, lets accept that that implies that I
understand the material :-).

I guess I am looking for a pragmatic explanation of what the mix of
political vs. technical issues is involved in external entity usage. Given
the fact that a non-validating processor isn't even required to handle them,
I'm still struggling to see if they and the associated NOTATION facilities
are going to be useful to most XML users.

Gabe Beged-Dov
www.jfinity.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest