   Seeking advice on placement of DOM XML parser

  • From: "Amit Rekhi" <amitr@abinfosys.com>
  • To: "xml list" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:37:24 +0530

Sorry for the length.
Hello,

I am developing a client side application which expects a DOM object tree
of an XML stream coming from the server as a result of an HTTP request.
To provide the app. with the DOM tree, a DOM XML parser will sit
in between the XML stream and my app.
The parser will convert the XML stream to a DOM object tree
and pass it on to my application.
I am confused about where to place the DOM XML parser
I have thought of 2 places where the parser could reside
but am not sure which place in better.
I'd be grateful if someone could help.

XML DOM PARSER POSITIONS I THOUGHT OF

1) Any browser which supports XML should have an inbuilt XML parser.
Assuming the parser is a DOM complaint one I could use the browser
inbuilt parser to get the DOM tree of a served XML stream.
This would mean
- that an XML stream would first go to a browser
- then I would have to trap the browser processing when a DOM tree is formed
- Retrieve the DOM tree
- Pass it on to my app.

2) Use a stand alone DOM XML parser which I could incorporate into
my app.This would mean
- that an XML stream would come straight to the XML parser in my app.
bypassing the browser totally
- the XML parser would produce the DOM tree
- The DOM tree would then be passed to the app.

QUESTIONS

1) Which of the 2 approaches should I use for the DOM tree generation
and why?
2) Any  existing samples/applications which expect DOM trees
as input for processing XML data
and how they manage to get the DOM trees?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

                                                                                                        AMIT