   Storing XML/Streaming HTML

  • From: Rob Williams <rob@robco-inc.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 07:19:08 -0800

I'm helping a company get a stalled intranet done and one of the major
things they are looking to do is make their policies and procedures manual
available as an online reference. I am thinking that it makes sense to mark
it up as XML: it is 1000 pages and contains lots of chapters and
subheadings. Anyway, the question is, have people gone this route yet, of
marking up some text in XML and then streaming it to the client (browser) as
HTML? I'm planning to use one of the XML Java parsers and just fetch the
text and then have some way of reading styles from a CSS file and applying
them as I stream it out.

Thanks for any advice,

Rob Williams
RobCo Incorporated