   RE: External DTD & namespaces

  • From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Andy Malakov' <amalakov@ptc.com>, W3C XML Developers <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:11:53 -0800

DTDs and namespaces are not fully integrated yet.  You can easily use
namespace prefixes in your DTDs, much as you show, but you must then be
careful that your instances use exactly the same namespace prefix.

Hopefully, future work on XML schemas will give you the ability to declare
namespaces in schemas (DTD being a type of schema) and then you can validate
based on the URI the prefix stands for, not just the literal characters of
the prefix.  We are not there yet.