   Re: Regulating the XML Marketplace

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:33:32 -0600

Mark Baker wrote:

> How about any app that works between tens or hundreds of partnered companies over
> the Net?  Say a supply chain management "system", where no single vendor/supplier
> has the same software as anybody else - it could all be proprietary - but they all
> talk XML (and agree on DTDs, or just specific tags & semantics, etc..).

They do the same thing with EDIFACT. It's just that it is more expensive
(another pre-XML specification). It is also less flexible, but that is
because EDIFACT's ideas are very old, not because its syntax could not be
made flexible.

> The true value of XML, IMHO, is in its potential to become ubiquitous.

Right. Ubiquity saves money. Saving money is a Good Thing. It allows you
to spend money on doing more interesting stuff.

Please recall that the genesis of this thread was in the call for XML
evangelism, an XML killer app etc. Cool plumbing doesn't need evangelism
(rah! rah! Unicode!). And it defies killer apps.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"I want to give beauty pageants the respectability they deserve."
            - Brooke Ross, Miss Canada International

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)