   Re: XML standards coherency and so forth

  • From: David LeBlanc <whisper@accessone.com>
  • To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>, "'XML-DEV'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:39:59 -0800

In the time frame we where evaluating tools, Microsoft's (at the time
written by Microsoft - or at least available from their site) parser was
not a candidate since it was written in Java. I didn't know about James
Clark's expat at the time, nor so far as I know is it a commercial product
being distributed under the Mozilla license.

If java, instead of C/C++, had been an option, I would have opted for the
IBM parser which had just gone "open source" royalty free  license.

We even tried using SP, but the Ms Mac compiler (the product had to be
cross-platform for both windows and mac) became very pathalogical when
compiling SP. Each and every one of the source files became a 500kb
(really!) object file.

We also tried an acedemic package from Europe - enough said.

We eventually went with the WFC XML classes which imho was very sub-optimal
since I would have preferred a validating parser.

So far as I know, there is still not a commercially available (pure) XML
validating parser written in C/C++.

Dave LeBlanc

At 04:02 AM 1/12/99 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
>David LeBlanc wrote:
>>
>> Now, permit me to digress a bit. Having been studying and working with xml
>> for the last 18 months or so, it seems to me this market is coming together
>> very slowly. There are not yet any decent (at least not inexpensive) tools
>> out for the  average consumer-programmer that seem worth a darn. I
>> implemented a small xml application for a commercial product, and we where
>> unable to find usable off the shelf tools at any (reasonable) cost. Ditto
>> for commercial C++ drop in parsing tools.
>
>In what sense are the Netscape supported (but not written) "expat" and the
>Microsoft supported (but not written) msxml not "commercial C++ drop in
>parsing tools?"
>
> Paul Prescod  - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for only himself
> http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco
>
>"I want to give beauty pageants the respectability they deserve."
>            - Brooke Ross, Miss Canada International
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
>(un)subscribe xml-dev