   Re: XML - NG

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>, "ML XMLDev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:16:11 -0800

At 07:03 PM 1/17/99 +1100, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>The Desparate Perl Hacker (DPH) is certainly a good class of user for
>XML to support. But being a DPH in a commercial company is probably a
>sign of management or technical incompetence somewhere.

I couldn't disagree with the that any more.  One of the major wins in
using XML is that you can put existing data to work for new, unforeseen,
purposes.  One good way to achieve this is with the use of script-ware
level tools.

>Using the right
>tools for the job is important in any trade.

Scripting languages, such as perl, python, Omnimark, Frontier, etc,
are often the right tools for the job.  I assume you're aware that
pretty well every one of these now has a real XML processor and
really handles XML syntax correctly. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)