   Re: XSchema suggestion/wish: Parameter entity (or SGML DTD inclusions/ex

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:24:51 -0600

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> (In fact, just as even C++ programs still sometimes still use
> cpp features when the programs are large or complex or multi-targeted, I
> doubt the practical wisdom of excluding textual inclusion entirely from
> future schema systems.)

This analogy is not a good one. C++ is absolutely brutal to parse so
making tools that extend C++ would be next to impossible without cpp.
Java, on the other hand, is relatively easy to parse so there are several
Java extensions that add to the Java syntax and "compile to Java." XML is
even easier to parse so building complex systems based on the element
structure is even easier. For instance I have Python tools that look for
the HyTime VALUEREF attribute in an XML or SGML grove and go out and fetch
a document, extract a portion of it and include it structurally in a
grove. That's quite easy once you have the parse tree, and it completely
replaces the need for external general text entities.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest