   RE: XML Component API

  • From: Michael.Kay@icl.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:23:17 -0000

> From: Oren Ben-Kiki [mailto:oren@capella.co.il]
>
> I raised the question of a standard API to XSL processors in
> the XSL mailing
> list. This question has quickly touched on general issues of
> how to combine
> XML processing modules, since there are two incompatible ways
> to pass XML
> data - as an in-memory DOM tree or as "parsing" events.

SAXON (http://home.iclweb.com/icl2/mhkay/saxon.html) provides a higher-level
API that can be used to process XML documents on top of either SAX or DOM.
It provides a useful model where most of your processing is sequential but
you might occasionally (or in the future) want to navigate from a node that
you reached serially, e.g. to follow an IDREF.

I've recently been trying to implement an XSL subset using SAXON and have
realised that the XSL processing model requires the document to be built in
memory, even though 90% of useful applications don't. For an XSL API,
therefore, I think you can forget any idea of an event-based approach.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)