   Re: XML Component API

  • From: "Bill la Forge" <b.laforge@jxml.com>
  • To: <Michael.Kay@icl.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>, "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@capella.co.il>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:05:54 -0500

The focus of MDSAX is to enable the processing of multiple document
types, each type being handled a little differently. This would be a document processing
object.

There could be different kinds of document processors, implemented with different
classes, all in the same runtime.

The emphasis of MDSAX is to construct a process with a set of filters which share
a common state. Note that this is quite distinct from the movement of events and/or
DOM Document objects between different document processors (still in the same
runtime).

I would say that MDSAX and something like the api that Oren Ben-Kiki is working on,
because they work at a different granularity, are quite complimentary.

Mike, I hope you don't give up on trying to understand MDSAX. Our plan is to start
working on the api documentation now and to develop the next level of detail on the
web pages in February.

As we make this more understandable, I expect that we be getting more suggestions
from the XML community on how to make it more useful. For now, its pretty hard to
participate in the design process, but changing that is our current priority.

Right now I'm working with Paul Rabin to help bring him up-to-speed on MDSAX. The
first consequence of that was a change to a lot of the class names, as well as a clean up
on how the ElementFilter worked. But I think the result has made it easier to understand.

Bill