   Re: xml-dev Digest V1 #222

  • From: rmcintosh@kcp.com
  • To: xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:34:34 -0600

Also check out IBM's XML parser for java at www.alphaworks.com. It is
supposed to be pretty fast.
Rob is correct about Sun's not being open source, but that is only because
it is an early release at this time and not a 'shipping' product yet. I am
currently testing with Sun's at the moment and find it fairly easy.

As a side note to using XML instead of RMI, I found that quite interesting
because I may end up doing the same thing for a short time due to certain
restrictions placed upon me, and other developer's where I work, on using
certain application protocols (RMI, CORBA, etc). Anyway, I wrote a class
that takes a java object, which in my case is a "business object" and
creates an xml document for it.   It works recursively in that if an object
is a container for others, for example an invoice contains line items which
contain products, etc., then it will work through all of those objects
also. I haven't tested it extensively yet, but it works. It does not at
this time create a DTD ,mostly because I don't need one for what I am
doing, but I plan on adding DTD support.

Robert McIntosh

owner-xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk on 01/19/99 08:00:09 PM

Please respond to $SENDER@ic.ac.uk