   RE: Generating XML

  • From: <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:47:22 -0500 (EST)

Michael.Kay@icl.com writes:

 > My normal way is to have a "writeXML()" method on the relevant
 > object, which calls writeXML() methods on its component objects,
 > and so on. A lot depends on how close the java object structure is
 > to the desired XML document structure.

A more elegant (if slightly more verbose) alternative is to have a
separate XMLWriter interface, so that you can write the XML out in
different ways (with or without preserving internal entity references,
etc.).

This approach can work very nicely if the component object implements
the Visitor design pattern: the writer can act as a visitor, and the
XML component object can invoke the correct method in the writer
object based on the component's type.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/