   Re: Understanding RDF

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:45:18 -0500

Paul Prescod wrote:

> I keep thinking I understand RDF and then I look at DCD and think "I
> guess I don't." DCD is supposed to be an RDF vocabulary, right?

Well, sort of.  It is Microsoft RDF, not W3C RDF.  :-)

> So what are the properties of the DCD node? Just ElementDef and
> AttributeDef?
> Am I to understand that these are vector-valued properties?

Multivalued rather than vector (Sequence, in RDF terms) valued.
A property may have more than one value (in current RDF terms,
there may be multiple sentences with a common subject and
predicate), as you'd expect.

> People complain about SGML minimization, but RDF abbreviation is much
> more complicated. Perhaps someone can walk me through the expansion of
> A DCD document into completely described nodes and properties.

I'll try.  Here's the example from clause 1.1:

 <DCD>
  <ElementDef Type="Booking" Model="Elements" Content="Closed">
    <Description>Describes an airline reservation</Description>
    <Group RDF:Order="Seq">
      <Element>LastName</Element> <Element>FirstInitial</Element>
      <Element>SeatRow</Element> <Element>SeatLetter</Element>
      <Element>Departure</Element> <Element>Class</Element>
    </Group>
  </ElementDef>

  <!-- example omits boring field declarations -->
  <ElementDef Type="SeatRow" Model="Data" Datatype="i1" Min="1" Max="72" />
  <ElementDef Type="SeatLetter" Model="Data" Datatype="char" Min="A" Max="K"/>
  <ElementDef Type="Class" Model="Data" Datatype="char" Default="1"/>
 </DCD>

And here's my attempt to make unabbreviated correct RDF:

<RDF:RDF xmlns:RDF="http://w3.org/TR/1999/PR-rdf-syntax-19990105#"
	xmlns="http://w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-dcd-19980731#">
 <RDF:Description>
 <RDF:type resource="http://w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-dcd-19980731#DCD"/>
  <RDF:li>
   <RDF:Description>
    <RDF:type resource="http://w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-dcd-19980731#ElementDef"/>
    <Type>Booking"</Type>
    <Model>Elements</Model>
    <Content>Closed</Content>
    <Description>Describes an airline reservation</Description>
    <Group>
     <Element>LastName</Element> <Element>FirstInitial</Element>
     <Element>SeatRow</Element> <Element>SeatLetter</Element>
     <Element>Departure</Element> <Element>Class</Element>
    </Group>
   </RDF:Description>
  </RDF:li>
  <RDF:li>
   <!-- example omits boring field declarations -->
   <RDF:Description>
    <RDF:type resource="http://w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-dcd-19980731#ElementDef"/>
    <Type>SeatRow</Type>
    <Model>Data</Model>