   Re: Why SAX needs namespace support

  • From: David LeBlanc <whisper@accessone.com>
  • To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>, "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:16:31 -0800

I can, off the top of my head, think of lots of times where mixing elements
from other dtds would make sense. A few that sprang to mind:
	Any kind of fiction (include a poem, recipe, formula etc).
	News articles (ditto above).
	Linguistics (include a fragment of text in a foreign language).
	Dictionary.
	Encyclopedia.

I know this isn't quite what Mr. Prescod had in mind (I think), but it
seems like a useful thing to be able to do. Why, if you include a
"poem.dtd" in another kind of document, couldn't you process the fragment
of the document (the poem or poems) in the "process space" (namespace?) of
that dtd or stylesheet or whatever?

Sincerely,

Dave LeBlanc

At 12:45 PM 1/26/99 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
<snip>
>Namespaces only make sense in a world where you can more or less randomly
>mix objects from different problem domains. That very seldom happens in
>the document world. It would require some way to dynamically assemble
>processing specifications (stylesheets). But the interaction between
>stylesheet levels is way too complex for this sort of dynamically assembly
>to be easy. We also know that dynamic assembly of schemas is quite tricky.
>As far as I know, nobody is doing it yet. So the namespace mechanism
>strikes me as premature considering that we don't have any infrastructure
>to take advantage of it.
>
> Paul Prescod  - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for only himself
> http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)