   RE: Will XML eat the web?

  • From: Tim McCune <timm@channelpoint.com>
  • To: "'Matthew Sergeant (EML)'" <Matthew.Sergeant@eml.ericsson.se>, "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:58:32 -0700

Whenever you run into processing bottlenecks, cache and distribute.  The
most obvious thing to cache is the result of applying the XSL to the
XML, for as long as you can.  Caching DOMs also helps.  If your DOM is
very dynamic, you can also exercise more fine-grained control by caching
individual elements, or caching the objects that create these elements.
You can also cache stylesheets.  We did all of this on the Java Lobby,
and it gave us more of a speed boost than anything else.
As far as bottlenecks on the browser go, I once worked on a project
where we had a tiny applet run when the user first enters the site that
measures its resources such as CPU speed.  This gets stored in the
client's session so that the server can then shift processing to the
client (sending it XML/XSL) or keep it on the server (sending the client
HTML), whichever gives the client the fastest response.  This is a
perfect fit with XML/XSL processing.