   Re: xml-dev Digest V1 #230

  • From: keshlam@us.ibm.com
  • To: xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:45:12 -0500

     I would like to view XML as a logical data model. I hope the actual
     storage model will be transparent in the future. I.e. the next
     generation xml "parser" that implements a DOM interface should be able
     to talk to an xml source that physically
     is say an OODB and fetch small pieces of the document as they are
     requested by the application.

I think you may be confusing "XML" and "document".

The DOM API could certainly be used to wrapper documents originally
expressed in formats other than XML, and I think everyone expects this to
happen. That makes exporting and importing XML easier -- but it doesn't
make the document XML, it just provides XML compatability.

If you're using an XML parser, you're talking about XML syntax. If you want
to generate a DOM (or a SAX stream) for some other format, you'll use a
parser for that format.

If you want to read the data from an OODB, you'll use an OODB query
operation. That may return the data as XML (which you'll then put through a
standard XML parser) or might return it directly as DOM or SAX.

The XML world is interesting because it's generating a whole cluster of
interrelated standards and conventions and tools based upon them. You don't
have to use all of those together for them to be individually valuable.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)