   Re: Spitting out XML (was RE: Will XML eat the web?)

  • From: "Bill la Forge" <b.laforge@jxml.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:17:41 -0500

>Sometimes XML can represent the database itself if the database is
>very small (i.e. it would traditionally be stored as a flat ASCII file
>and batch-processed with Perl rather being stored in an RDBM): that's
>not really what sales wonks would call an enterprise-strength
>solution, but I (for example) use it for my own record-keeping.

If the XML is broken into subtrees, might that then add to the scalability
of this aproach?

Think about b-trees for a bit. Couldn't we develop analogous algorithms
for transparently managing the size of a fragment?

Anyone interested in doing a native-XML database? This would be a great
project for Open Source Software development!

Bill

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)