   RE: Will XML eat the web?

  • From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:47:11 -0000

> Also DOM should not such a resource hog as it is
> now.

Not sure if we should be so hard on it! It is only a parser, and it's up
to you what you do with it. For example, I could imagine a model where
you have a number of instantiations of DOM as sort of caches. You then
read and write data to a relational database, converting to and from
nodes in the XML tree as required.

Your searching and selection algorithms would have to retrieve from the
database, not inside DOM - which is no way going to be optimised enough,
anyway. Of course there's loads of ways you could implement this, but
eventually someone will give us a nice black box, and away we go. In the
meantime, give DOM a break!

Mark Birbeck
Managing Director
Intra Extra Digital Ltd.