   Re: XML for Java serialization

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 29 Jan 1999 23:25:41 +0100

* Tyler Baker

| Well it is pretty simple to say IDs are the answer.  They are indeed
| a possibility.  Try coming up with an implementation which resolves
| circular references and can be rebuilt back into its original
| in-memory data structure.  Implementation is not as simple as it
| sounds...

I did a pilot for my MSc thesis last fall and when I gave up trying to
make Java serialization work with CORBA object structures (all the
objects were in one JVM) I wrote my own XML-based serialization.

It keeps track of circular references and all that and I did it in one
day, so the implementation isn't all that difficult. The hard part is
making the interface easily useable, which I didn't bother with, since
I just wanted something for my pilot system.

And, yes, it is verbose.

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest