   Re: Frontier as a scalable XML repository (was Re: Is XML dead already

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:43:59 -0800

>>4. It's an object database but all I see are tables. This confuses me
because I expect tables to be for relational databases and objects to be
for object databases.

Tables are like hashes in Perl, except they're virtual, don't need to be
managed, and are tightly integrated with the scripting language.

We give you a choice of scripting language, on Windows you can use Python,
or Perl, or JavaScript or VB Script, because we wired into Active Scripting
Host, it's just not as deeply integrated as our own language, it can't be,
yet, so there are still things that are easier/faster in Frontier's
internal language, but I expect over time, with help from Microsoft that
this will be less true in the future. We don't fight syntax choice battles,
learned that lesson a long time ago.

Some of your other conclusions, esp the most broad ones, are not true. Many
people use Frontier without writing scripts. I agree with you about what
integrators need, and many of the things you ask for are available from
other sources, or are part of the next release. You can get a preview of
the next release on this site:

http://developers.userland.com/

Re processing your SGML docs, we have native support for XML, not SGML. Not
sure we can help you with SGML. The site has a section on Frontier 5 and
XML, not sure if you came across it. If not, please check it out:

http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/xml/

I hope this is the beginning of a lengthy exploration/feedback loop. I
think we've done some things right, and there are definitely missing
pieces. We want to be a good fit in your world, maybe we can't do
everything everyone would want, but we want to learn and do more over time.
Thanks..

Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest