   Re: Content-Document-Type: was (Re: MIME types vs. DOCTYPE)

  • From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:05:37 -0500

John Cowan wrote:

>Jonathan Borden wrote:
>
>>         Please explain what:

>>         can possibly do for you that:

>>         cannot do. (Note: the use of doctype = dtd is an example, the
doctype can
>> point to any URI. Just like the XML namespace URI, the doctype URI serves
as
>> a unique identifier and implies no particular meaning.
>
>I agree, except that I would prefer to see an FPI rather than (or
>in addition to) a URI.  That would be extensible to HTML as well as
>XHTML, and therefore to the text/html media type as well as the
>text/xml media type.

This is a good idea.

A general way to employ the Content-type header to specify a document type
is:

Strict//EN";              uri="http://www.w3.org/XHTML.DTD"

This should apply to text/html, text/xml, text/sgml, application/xml etc.

deja vu all over again :-)

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

(un)subscribe xml-dev