   Re: parsing spec.dtd & XML spec with nsgmls Re: W3C spec.dtd

  • From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 12:29:51 -0600

At 18:13 1999 03 03 +0100, Stefan Mintert wrote:

 > http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report-19980910.htm
 >

> > > Now I try to parse the XML spec (REC-xml-19980210.xml) and the spec.dtd
> > > (copied from the above URL) with nsgmls.
> >
> > As the documentation for XMLspec warns, the current version of the
> > DTD is *not* the one used with the XML Recommendation, which used
> > a much older version.  So don't do that.
>
>ooops, sorry; but that doesn't explain the parsing errors concerning the DTD:
>
>spec.dtd:60:17:W: named character reference
>spec.dtd:60:19:E: "X2014" is not a function name
>[...]

1.  nsgmls is not an XML parser.  those errors are probably because it's
    not recognizing &#X2014; (the hex version) as a numeric character
    reference.  You might try converting X2014 to a decimal number
    and seeing what happens.  Or, use an XML parser.

2.  The URL quoted above is old.  The latest are:

DTD:
  http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-19990205.dtd
Documentation:
  http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report-19990205.htm