   Re: XML and special Characters : unicode v3.0 ?

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 15:59:19 -0500

David Brownell wrote:

> Surely it's more important that Klingon markup be supported?  :-)

All Languages Are Equal (TM).

> I notice that a recent Linux distribution puts Klingon support
> into a chunk of private use area, so at least there's consistency
> that XML doesn't yet offer complete Klingon support!

Right.  Support for private-use characters in XML names will always
be a Bad Thing, because nobody outside the private user can tell
which characters are letters and which aren't, so it's either all
or none, and "none" is the most sensible choice.

Just be prepared to revisit XML so that Unicode 3.0 name and name-start
characters can get included.  This will allow the creation of
DTDs written in serious Real World languages like Macedonian, Syriac,
Divehi, Sinhala, Burmese, Ethiopic, Cherokee, various Canadian Native
languages, Khmer, Mongolian, and Yi.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)