   Re: ModSax Suggestion

  • From: David Brownell <db@eng.sun.com>
  • To: MikeDacon@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:36:23 -0800

Interesting suggestion for a big hole in the parts of
the Java API set that are more or less "standard" at
this poit -- SAX and DOM.

One comment though:  I've found that it's important to
be able to have options controlling how the DOM tree is
built.  For example, whether to discard ignorable spaces,
or do namespace conformance enforcement, or try to get
CDATA sections (comments, etc).

Accordingly, I think being able to do a bit more than
this will be important.

- Dave

MikeDacon@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> While SAX does a good job as an event-based interface
> to Parsers, it would be nice to add a few methods to
> receive a DOM representation back from a reference to an org.xml.sax.Parser.
>
> Something like:
>
> org.w3c.dom.Document  parse(InputSource  is, boolean events) throws
> SAXException;
> org.w3c.dom.Document  parse(java.lang.String uri, boolean events) throws
> SAXException;
> /* the events boolean would be to turn on/off event calls. */
>
> If a SAXDriver did not want to produce a DOM, it could either simply
> return a null or a method added like:
>
> boolean isDomCapable();
>
> The above would let me use the ParserFactory to seamlessly switch
> between Parser implementations and get a DOM tree without building
> one myself.  It is fruitless for me to build a DOM tree when almost all
> the parser implementations provide that ability.  I just want a way to get
> at that functionality in a simple and standard way (thus SAX).
>
> Thoughts?
>
>  - Mike
> Michael C. Daconta
> Author of Java 2 and JavaScript for C/C++ Programmers
> Author of C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management
> Sun Certified Java Programmer and Developer
> http://www.gosynergy.com
>
> xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
> Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
> To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;