   Re: SAX: ModSAX addition, general property query

  • From: "John Wilson" <tug@wilson.co.uk>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:42:50 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
To: XML Developers' List <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
Sent: 09 March 1999 09:54
Subject: RE: SAX: ModSAX addition, general property query

>> I've been thinking about this issue, and I'm fairly convinced
>> that the URI is the right choice.
>>
>> Think of the URI a statement of ownership.  Assume that my ISP is
>> host.net, and that I've been allocated 5MB of web space at
>> http://host.net/foo/.
>>
>I don't often disagree with David, but I think this is quite misguided.

I agree - I don't actually see the benefit of using a string identifier at
all:

I don't think that it's unreasonable to insist that objects representing a
Feature, Handler or Property should either implement a distinct interface or
subclass a distinct class. If this is so the Parser can tell what Feature,
Handler or Property is being set by enquiring of the type of the object. (I
favour insisting that they subclass distinct classes because (in Java) that
naturally imposes the restriction that a single object can only represent a
single Property.)

The get() member function could take a Class parameter.

The advantage of this approach is that it relies only on the type naming
scheme of Java and there are already well established mechanisms that
ensures that different implementers create distinct types.

I am by no means an expert in the other languages that are supported by
SAX - would this approach cause dreadful problems in other languages?

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
5 Market Hill, Whitchurch, Aylesbury, Bucks HP22 4JB, UK
+44 1296 641072, +44 976 611010(mobile), +44 1296 641874(fax)
Mailto: tug@wilson.co.uk

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)