   Re: SAX: ModSAX addition, general property query

  • From: "John Wilson" <tug@wilson.co.uk>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:40:45 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
To: XML Developers' List <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
Sent: 08 March 1999 22:30
Subject: Re: SAX: ModSAX addition, general property query

>Tom Harding writes:
> > David Megginson wrote:
> >
> > > As I wrote before, it doesn't much matter whether we use Java property
> > > names incorporating domain names (like
> > > 'org.xml.sax.features.validation') or URIs (like
> > > 'http://xml.org/sax/features/validation'), as long as we have the
> > > ability for people to create new names without fear of collision.
> >
> > I would also urge against using an http: URI since it is not meant
> > that a resource actually be retrieved using the http protocol.
>
>I've been thinking about this issue, and I'm fairly convinced that the
>URI is the right choice.

I really have a problem with using URI's for this.

RFC2396 (http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2396.txt) section 6 talks
about URI Normalisation and equivalence

It says that URI equivalence is defined on a scheme basis. You have chosen
the http scheme so we are presumably required to apply the http definition
of URI equivalence. This does not seem to me to be a desirable criteria for
equivalence.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
5 Market Hill, Whitchurch, Aylesbury, Bucks HP22 4JB, UK
+44 1296 641072, +44 976 611010(mobile), +44 1296 641874(fax)
Mailto: tug@wilson.co.uk

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)