   ModSAX: Proposed Core Handlers

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:10:30 -0500 (EST)

My current proposal for the ModParser interface includes the following
method (ModHandler is an empty interface):

  public abstract void setHandler (String handlerID, ModHandler handler)
    throws SAXNotSupportedException;

I propose the following core handlers, with the understanding that SAX
parsers are not required to support any of them (they are free to
throw a SAXNotSupportedException):

ModSAX Core Handlers
--------------------

(All handler IDs correspond to a specific interface.)

http://xml.org/sax/handlers/lexical <LexicalHandler>
  Receive callbacks for comments, CDATA sections, and (possibly)
  entity references.

http://xml.org/sax/handlers/dtd-decl <DTDDeclHandler>
  Receive callbacks for element, attribute, and (possibly) parsed
  entity declarations.

http://xml.org/sax/handlers/namespace <NamespaceHandler>
  Receive callbacks for the start and end of the scope of each
  namespace declaration.

I'm not certain, but it might make sense to replace the third one with
a read-only parse-time property.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/