   RE: DocumentHandler with xml4j DOMParser

  • From: LUCIO PICOLLI <lucio.piccoli@one2one.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 8:18:00 +0000

> <You_Said>
> Hi all,
> I am using IBM's xmlj2.0.3 XML parsers. I am having the following
> problem:
> When i set my own document handler with a DOMParser, the
> handler is never
> invoked upon. However when i use the SAXParser it does. Why
> does the
> DOMParser not invoke the DocumentHandler yet hte SAXParser does?
> The docs does not throw any light on the problem.
> Is there a fundamental problem with using a DocumentHandler with a
> DOMParser?
>
>  One2One              LUCIO.PICCOLI@one2one.co.uk
> </You_Said>
>
> I don't know about the version of your XML4J, but in mine (1.1.9), the
> documentation states that DocumentHandler is to be used with
> the SAX Parser
> to eb informed of parsing events. This is logical, since the
> main difference is that DOM parsers parse the whole document into a
resulting
> DOM tree, and SAX parsers are used for event based processing.
>
> There doesn't appear to be any way to create a
> DocumentHandler on class com.ibm.xml.parser.Parser, but you can from
> org.xml.sax.DocumentHandler.
>Did they change this in your newer version?

I am not sure what you mean here. The Documenthandler i used was a
instance of org.xml.sax.DocumentHandler. The
setDocumentHandler(DocumentHandler handler)  is a method on the
org.xml.sax.Parser. Since all the ibm parser class implement this
interface then why doesn't it work?

I viewed the source code to the DOMParser and noticed that in the
constructor it calls setDocumentHandler( this ). So it using itself as
the document handler. Is it OK to have more than one DocumentHandler?

In fact the bigger question is using a DocumentHandler on the DOMParser
the correct thing to do when attempting to extract the content?

 -lucio

> Ed
>

> Ed Howland
> ed@dega.com
> http://www.dega.com
> "As your attorney, I advise you to take some adrenalchrome"

mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on
CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1