   Re: Namespaces and DTDs

  • From: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <richard@goon.stg.brown.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:38:33 +0000

James Anderson wrote (with regard to declaring namespaces in the DTD):

> one will, in any case, need to establish scoping rules for the bindings

That's a very insightful comment, and right on target about DTDs.

But back to an earlier point a poster made about SGML-conformance (DTDs,
etc.) being the thing that is killing XML:  If it weren't for the promise
of backwards compatibility with SGML/HTML, XML could not have gathered
the initial following that it did.

(Don't get me wrong; our shop is still largely an SGML shop.  I'll be
very sad if XML loses these connections.  But I think that's where we
are headed.  Many people who are entering the XML community have never
heard of SGML, and resent being encumbered it.)

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)