   Re: ModSAX: Proposed Core Features

  • From: "Duffy, Bruce" <Bruce.Duffy@westgroup.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:45:23 -0600

Hi folks,

One feature I'd really like to see is a Locator.getByteOffset()
method.  Obviously this feature would have to be optional, since not
all XML inputs are indexable files.

James Clark's non-SAX API for XP implements this method for startElement(),
but not for the characters() callback, which unfortunately is exactly what
I need it for.  I could hack XP or another parser, but I'd much rather work
within the context of SAX.

One name for such a feature is:

	http://xml.org/sax/features/locator.byteOffsets

	(true) means getByteOffset() is supported for startElement,
	endElement, and character callbacks.  (false) means it is not
	supported for those callbacks.

Alternatively, if there's some reason why this feature is a Bad Idea,
I'd like to know why!

Thanks,

	Bruce Duffy
	West Group