   Re: Namespaces and DTDs

  • From: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <richard@goon.stg.brown.edu>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:32:31 +0000

David Megginson wrote, re why namespaces are needed:

> I'll paraphrase the use case as follows (I'll leave the source
> anonymous):
>
>   A server wants to construct a large XML document as the response to
>   a client request, and it does so by handing off the work to several
>   parallel processes and then concatenating the results into a single
>   document.  If each of the processes can declare its own namespaces,
>   then it is not necessary to establish complicated negotiation
>   channels between the top-level process and the child processes to
>   obtain the correct namespace declarations.

Maybe it's just me, but this sort of statement would have more credi-
bility if there were more evidence of widespread practical application
of this technique.

Most successful standards are based, in large part, on experience and
wisdom people gain from actually doing a thing.  A lot.

Am I missing something here?

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)