   RE: What a tangled web!!! XML and related specs

  • From: Serrat Jaime - jasr <jasr@im.se>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:02:10 +0100

David,

Thanks for your prompt and useful reply.  At the risk of changing from
'newbie' to 'PEST', how about a follow-up question?

I will ignore Notes, as you suggest since I am NOT doing cutting edge stuff,
and SAX (I don't need event-based processing).  I do, however, want to
exchange metadata, so in addition to the base XML spec, it appears that I
need to be familiar with Namespaces, DOM level 1 (which apparently does NOT
support Namespaces; coming in DOM 2, maybe?) and RDF.  If that's right, it's
a reasonable enough roadmap for the time being.

But I'm still left wondering about the schema related proposals.  NOTE or
not, no pun, did the SOX submitters intend it to supercede DTD?  Was RDF
(and DCD?) meant to *extend* DTD?  I guess I'm wondering about the
*direction* of the schema proposals, without fully understanding the details
in them, nor the players involved.

-- jaime "jim" serrat

Technical Manager of PDA08 - EDI Engine	Office: 	+1 609-797-3227
Product Development				Fax:	+1 609-797-6660
Industri-Matematik				Mobile:	+1 609-315-3338
Five Greentree Centre				Web:	http://www.im.se
Marlton, NJ 08053				Email:	jasr@im.se

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest